- PortfolioPresentPolicy-making Expert - Nature Protection and Water Resources - for the Strengthening of BiH Environmental Institutions an Preparation for Pre-accession FundsJuly 2011- presentDevelopment and construction of www.boraydesigns.com to provide one-stop shop for domain registration, website hosting, search engine optimisation and web design in Rapidweaver or WordPress. Development of a digital platform to provide support for the development of low carbon innovations. The website www.lowcarboninvention.com is currently under construction.January - July 2011Team Leader: Representing LTS International for a feasibility study for an integrated watershed management program for the Kagera River Basin, involving Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. This progam is part of the Nile Equitorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program.June - December 2010Team Leader: The development of an Environmental and Natural Resource Management Action Plan (ENRMAP) for the Upper Shire River Basin, Malawi. This project was carried out in conjunction with the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) in Washington and MCA-Malawi, LTS International, in partnership with The International Union for Conservation and Nature (IUCN), the Centre for Development Management in Malawi (CDM) and Water Resource Associates (WRA Ltd, UK).February - March 2010Short Term Expert: Production of three short animations on behalf of the FAO to visualise the surface water temperature changes that have taken place in Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika and Lake Victoria since the mid 1980s.November 2009-January 2010Short Term Expert: Undertaking a study on behalf of the FAO to determine the effects of climate change on the fish communities, composition and productivity in Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika and Lake Victoria.October-December 2009Short Term Expert: EuropeAid/125153/D/SER/Multi African Transboundary River Basin Support Programme – case of the basin of the Orange-Senqu River in Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and South Africa. To prepare a framework for the development of recommendations to support the management of water environmental quality for the Orange-Senqu River System, and to develop water resource management objectives to support this process.August 2009 - presentAppointed Director - Water Resource Associates, LtdDecember 2008-presentFreelance: Proposal management for international consultancies; Co-author of website related to climate change: www.climatedata.infoJanuary-December 2008Associate at Scott Wilson Ltd. Responsible for business development in the field of international water managementAugust 2007Founder member of EMA Ltd. (www.ema.com.mk) Established in 2007, EMA (Environmental Management Associates) is an environmental management and consulting company located in Skopje, Macedonia.March-September 2007Team Leader representing Arcadis Eurosonsult (NL) for the EU project “Technical Assistance for Water Quality management of the Arda River".January 2006-November 2007Team Leader representing a consortium of Euroconsult Mott MacDonald (NL), Mott MacDonald (UK) and Eptisa International (Spain) and GEING (fYROM) for the project for ‘Improvement of the management of transboundary water resources in the Vardar/Axios river basin’June-November 2005Team Leader representing a consortium of Project Management Ltd (Ireland) and Sogreah Consultants (France) for the EU project “Integrated Management of the Waters of Nestos/Mesta River Basin” .September 1998-January 2002Project Manager: Halcrow Group Ltd. Responsible for delivery for a range of environmental projects relating to environmental quality objectives, freshwater quality status, economic instruments for nutrient reduction, environmental protection and strategic environmental investments.September 1991-July 1998Project Manager: WRc plc. Responsible for delivery for a range of landfill management and leachate treatment projects funded by the UK government, in line with the development of the EU landfill Directive. Involved in the improvements to EU legislation for detergents, including assessment of the EU Code of Conduct for the Detergent Agency (AISE). Novel method development to detect aerial contaminants and their effect on front-line species.1987-1989Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Oklahoma: In-situ bioremediation: Mechanism for microbial movement in subsurface materials (funded by the US Environmental Protection Agency)
- Locations2011: Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda
Team Leader for a feasibility study for an integrated watershed management program for the Kagera River Basin, involving Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
Team Leader for the development of an Environmental and Natural Resource Management Action Plan (ENRMAP) for the Upper Shire River Basin, Malawi.
2009: South Africa (Botswana, Lesotho and Namibia)
Short term input for the development of a framework for the development of recommendations to support the management of water environmental quality for the Orange-Senqu River System, and to develop water resource management objectives to support this process
Working as temporary project manager for International Synergies Ltd, for the Sustainable Development Dialogue between the UK and China on behalf of DFID and Defra
2006-2007: Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Team Leader for the Europeaid Project: '‘Improvement of the Management of Transboundary Water Resources in the Vardar/Axios River Basin" was undertaken with the support of the European Agency for Reconstruction (Project No. Europeaid/117878/D/SER/MK)
Team Leader for the project: “Technical Assistance for Water Quality Management of the Arda River" (PHARE BG 2003/005-630.05), and also Team Leader for the project “Integrated Management of the Waters of Nesos/Mesta River Basin” (Project No. Europeaid/119665/D/SV/BG).
2002-2005: Black Sea Riparian Countries: Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine
Programme Coordinator for the GEF/UNDP Black Sea Encosystem Recovery Project.
Technical expert for the integrated water management strategy for Belarus on the River Bug (EU TACIS).
Technical expert for strategic and short term investment plans for the city of Rostov, Russia (DFID)
Technical expert for the updating of Vodokanal’s Environmental Protection and wastewater treatment laboratory facilities in Zaporozhzhia, Ukraine (EU TACIS). Also had the role of long term advisor for the Black Sea Environment Programme (EU TACIS)
Postdoctoral Studies. US Environmental Protection Agency.
Doctoral Studies. PhD awarded in 1987
- PublicationsWater Management
- Reynolds, PJ (2008) Final Vardar River Basin Report to rhe European Agency for Reconstruction
- Reynolds, PJ (2007) Final Mesta River Basin Report to PHARE
- Reynolds, PJ (2007) Final Arda River Basin Report to PHARE
- Reynolds, PJ and Volovik, G. (2004). Control of Eutrophication, Hazardous Substances and Related Maeasures for Rehabilitatiing the Black Sea Ecosystem: Phase 2 ProDoc. GEF Operation Programme OP8, Project No. RER/01/G33/A/1G/31.(GEF CEO Approval Letter).
- Reynolds, PJ and Volovik, G. (2004). Final Report to the GEF/UNDP: Black Sea Ecosystem Recovery Project Phase 1.
- Reynolds, PJ and Parr, W (2000) Development of process, stress reduction and environmental status indicators to monitor the effect of nutrients within the Black Sea basin
- Reynolds PJ and Sketch PA (1999) Water Quality Enhancement in the Danube River Basin: An assessment of the feasibility of conducting a chemical and biological water quality survey along the entire length of the Danube River. Final Report to Phare, November.
- Reynolds, PJ. Final report to the UK National Rivers Authority (R&D 305/14/NW).and Dangerfield, SF (1999) Water Quality Enhancement in the Danube River Basin: Assessment of UN/ECE guidelines for transboundary rivers. Final Report to Phare, November.
- Reynolds, PJ (1999) Environmental Quality Objectives for the protection of the Black Sea Ecosystem. Final Report to TACIS, April.
- Reynolds PJ, Bealing DJ, Sidorowicz S and Watson S: (1994) Nitrification rates in rivers and estuaries
- Young, CP, Blackmore, KM, Reynolds, PJ and Leavens, A. Pollution Potential of Cemetries, Draft Guidance, UK Environment Agency R&D Technical Report (2009)
- Blakey NC, Reynolds PJ, Bradshaw K and Young CP: (1996). Landfill 2000: A field trial of accelerated waste stabilisation. Final report to the UK Department of the Environment (CWM 050/96).
- Lewin K, Young C, Sims P, Blakey N, Oakes D, Reynolds P and Bradshaw K: (1996). Long-term monitoring of non-contained landfills: Burntstump and Gorsethorpe on Sherwood sandstone. Final report to the Department of the Environment, EPG 1/7/03 (CLO203).
- Archer D, Reynolds PJ and Blakey NC: (1995). A review of landfill microbiology research. Final report to ETSU (B/LF/00416/REP) on behalf of the UK Department of Trade and Industry.
- Blakey NC, Archer D and Reynolds PJ: (1995). Bioreactor landfill: A microbiological review. Proceedings Sardinia 95. Fifth International Landfill Symposium. Cagliari, Italy, 2-6 Oct, pp. 97-116.
- Reynolds PJ, Oliver R and Blakey NC: (1994). Management of the environmental effects of landfill disposal of waste: Leachate treatment field trials at Calvert Landfill, Buckinghamshire, UK. Final report to the UK Department of the Environment (DoE 3810).
- Reynolds PJ, Juggins P, Oliver R and Blakey NC: (1993). Heavy metal codisposal to landfill: physico-chemical factors affecting the metal binding capacity of refuse. Final report to the UK Department of the Environment (CWM 051/93).
- Reynolds PJ and Blakey NC: (1992). Landfill research: nitrification leachate treatment studies at the Newpark Landfill, Essex, UK. Final report to the UK Department of the Environment (DoE 2478/1).
- Reynolds PJ and Nedwell DB: (1991). The treatment of landfill leachate by anaerobic digestion processes. Final report to the UK Department of the Environment (DoE CL0069).
Anaerobic Digestion/Anaerobic Processes
- Nedwell DB and Reynolds PJ: (1996). Treatment of landfill leachate by methanogenic and sulphate-reducing digestion. Water Research, 30, (1), 21-28.
- Beaty PS, Wooford N, McInerney MJ and Reynolds PJ: (1989). Metabolism of formate by the syntrophic bacterium Syntrophomonas wolfei. Poster presentation at the Annual Society for Microbiology, New Orleans, LA.
- Concannon F, Reynolds PJ, Hennigan S, and Colleran E: (1988). Computer-aided measurement of specific methanogenic activity. Poster presentation at The Fifth International Conference on Anaerobic Digestion, Bologna, Italy.
- Colleran E, O’Kelly N and Reynolds PJ: (1987). Methanogenic populations in anaerobic filters and hybrid sludge-bed/filter reactors. In “Energy from Biomass, EEC Conference”. Elsevier Applied Science.
- Reynolds PJ and Colleran E: (1987). Evaluation and improvement of methods for coenzyme F420 analysis in anaerobic sludges. J. Microbiol. Methods, 7, 115130.
- Reynolds PJ, Concannon F and Colleran E: (1987). Measurement of the specific methanogenic activity of anaerobic sludges. In “Energy from Biomass, EEC Conference”. Elsevier Applied Science.
- Colleran E, O’Kelly N and Reynolds PJ: (1986). Start-up, performance and biological solids distribution in anaerobic fixed-bed reactors. In Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Anaerobic Digestion, pp. 324-327. Beijing, China.
- Reynolds PJ: (1986). Support Matrix and Feed Flow Effects in Anaerobic Fixed-Bed Reactors. PhD Thesis, University College, Galway, Ireland.
- Reynolds PJ: (1997). An Assessment of the A.I.S.E. Code of Good Environmental Practice for Household Laundry Detergents. Final Report to the European Commission (DGIII), EC 10735, October.
- Reynolds PJ, Mascarenhas R and Young W: (1997). A study of the possible problems in the aquatic environment caused by surfactants in detergents. Final report to European Commission (DG III), EC 4294, February.
Biodegradation of Chemicals/In-situ Bioremediation
- Fleming R, Boxall A, Delaney P, Reynolds PJ and Rogers H: (1996). Risk assessment of contaminated land. Final report to the UK National Rivers Authority.
- Reynolds PJ: (1995). The comparative ready biodegradability of petroleum, silicone and ester transformer oils. WRc Report CO 3977.
- Reynolds PJ and Hedgecott S: (1995). Investigation of the potential for anaerobic biodegradation of palm oil under methanogenic and sulphate-reducing conditions. WRc Report CO 3891.
- Reynolds PJ and Bealing DJ: (1994). Biodegradation of chemicals in the environment. Final report to the UK Department of the Environment (DoE 3398).
- Reynolds PJ Sharma P, Jenneman GE, and McInerney MJ: (1989). Mechanisms of microbial movement in subsurface materials. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 55, 2280-2286.
EcoToxicology/Environmental Quality Standards
- Sims I and Reynolds PJ (1999). The effects of atmospheric pollution on a lichenophagous lepidopteran. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 42, 30-34.
- Proposed Environmental Quality Standards for Phthalates in Water. Final Report to DETR (DoE 3929P), June 1998
- Reynolds PJ, Comber S and Rogers H: (1996). Development of quality assessment criteria for persistence data. Final report to the UK National Rivers Authority.